I had never tried – or even knew about – coconut butter until I started seeing it Everywhere on Instagram.. and for good reason!! If you’ve never tried it, I highly suggest doing so. It’s tastes super sweet and adds great flavor to so many things! Have it with bananas, dark chocolate, put it in your coffee, eat it by the spoonful. ETC!
If you see it in the store, it costs like 12$ a jar.. uhhh NO THANKS! You can easily and cheaply make it on your own. Shredded coconut costs about 3$ a bag!! Here’s how –
What you need –
At least 2 cups shredded coconut. Flaked coconut won’t work as well
Coconut oil – not necessary but gets things moving a lot faster.
- Place 2 – 3 cups coconut shreds in food processor (for a toasted flavor.. roast coconut shreds at 350 for a few mins before this)
- Blend. Stop. Scrape down sides.
- Add a few spoonfuls coconut oil. Blend again.
- Repeat step 2 as needed and add more coconut oil as needed too.
- Store in mason jar or empty nut butter jar and enjoy!
*In total, this usually takes me about 5 mins. Super quick and easy.
*Coconut butter is solid at room temp, so heat for a few seconds before using.