Fav fall dessert? APPLE CRISP. BY FAR. 2000%. NO QUESTION BOUT IT.
I’m not sure what it is about apple crisp – but it’s like the most comforting cozy lil dessert ever and I just freaking love it. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s the first dessert I really let myself eat even during the depths of my eating disorder (well actually it was apple pie but to me… they are one in the same).
The night before I was going into my second long term hospital stay I all of a sudden got a HUGE craving for apple pie/crisp. I called my Mom into my room and told her I wanted it. You should’ve seen the look on her face. She was shocked. But like.. a good shocked. She was ecstatic. It had been years since I had asked for something like that. So.. even though it was almost 10 pm, we found the only open grocery store, bought all of the ingredients, and she made my apple pie dreams come true! I had a huge piece with vanilla ice cream. Like I said, it was the first time in my eating disorder that I had really let myself enjoy a treat like that. So maybe that’s where my love affair with apple crisp begins.
Sometimes, you don’t want to make a whole apple crisp. Sometimes you’re just craving it and want to be quick and make your own lil serving and be done with it. You don’t need to peel and cut 5 apples and do all the other shiz. I got you covered with this SINGLE SERVE apple crisp recipe. It’s quick, simple, and freaking DELISH.
Try fo’ yo’self
For the apple “filling”
- apple of choice
- about 1/2 tbs coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- lots of cinnamon
For the crumble topping
- 2-3 tbs almond flour (can use coconut flour but may need a little more)
- 1 – 2 tbs coconut shreds
- 1 – 2 tbs chopped almonds or pecans
- 1/2 tbs coconut oil or grass-fed butter, melted*
- 1/2 tbs honey*
- 1/4 cup Bare baked crunchy apple chips** (see notes)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- lots of cinnamon
***RECIPE NOTES (for the topping)***
* Sweeten to taste with honey. If you use more honey, you will not need as much coconut oil. The coconut oil just acts as a binder but adding more honey will do the same
**You can buy the baked crunchy apple chips at whole foods or Market Basket (local ppl). You also don’t have to add these, but they make it more crunchy! If you want the crunch but do not have these, alternatively you could use more chopped nuts, or your favorite granola!!
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Wash & chop apple. Peel if desired. I leave skin on
- In a cast iron skillet (or regular small pan.. I use my mini skillet!!) heat coconut oil.
- Add in the chopped apple, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Sauté the apples for about 5 mins, or until tender and golden brown.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients for the crumble topping. Make sure the oil/butter is melted and that the honey is liquid as well.
- Spoon the topping over the apple mixture
- Bake for about 5-7 mins or until the topping is starting to turn golden brown.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or homemade coconut whipped cream (recipe below)!
*IF NOT USING A SKILLET : Once adding the topping to the apples, you can either cook longer in the pan you are using, or transfer to something that is oven safe and bake in that.
Coconut whipped cream ingredients:
- 1 can coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- optional: honey (I dont sweeten mine)
- Store coconut cream/milk in fridge overnight (You usually don’t have to do this with the TRADER JOES brand. It gets too hard in the fridge and is hard enough without refrigerating usually)
- Chill a metal or glass bowl in freezer 10 mins prior to making
- When ready to make, open can and scoop the solidified coconut cream into chilled bowl. Leaving all liquid behind
- Beat coconut cream with electric mixer on med – high speed for a few minutes until whipped cream texture is formed.
- Add in vanilla and optional honey and mix.
- Use immediately or store in fridge in glass container.
*If you store it in the fridge, you may have to shake or mix when going to use it again. Sometimes mine hardens and just needs to be heated in the microwave for a few seconds.
And tag me if ya make it 😉 @actually_alexandra