For some reason, I’ve been on an almond butter kick lately. I literally cannot get enough of it. I put it on my fruit, baked goods, roasted veggies, sometimes in my coffee, but mostly I love just eating it by the spoonful. It’s gotten to the point where it’s basically an addiction. I considered giving it up for a week just to see if I could last…. I lasted a few hours. Oh well!! I 100% could’ve gone longer if I didn’t have my homemade vanilla espresso almond butter just sitting on the counter taunting me
When I say this stuff is insane, I mean it. I’ve been eating so much plain almond butter that I decided I needed to switch it up a lil. If you know me.. you know how I feel about coffee. It’s sacred to me. So I figured, why not combine my two favorite things – Almond butter, and coffee!
One day, I came home to a surprise package from my FAVORITE coffee company – Chameleon Cold brew. Immediately, the wheels in my head started turning, thinking of what I could create with the coffee beans they had sent. Of course I’m gonna make coffee with them.. DUH. But I wanted to make something fun with em too.. and that, my friends, is how this glorious almond butter came about.
Upon first taste, I knew it was perfection. I didn’t have to adjust the recipe even a tiny bit. It almost tasted like cookies and cream to me. Sounds weird but, try it and you’ll see!!
Using full coffee beans in this recipe really helped to give it a little crunch, which is another reason it’s so satisfying. And I truly think that the specific coffee beans that I used is another reason it tastes so amazing. Obviously, feel free to use any coffee beans that you want, but I used the “Dark, Black, & Bold” coffee beans by Chameleon Cold Brew.
Best ways to eat this stuff: On a banana, on homemade cookies, with roasted delicata squash, really on anything. My most favorite way is straight up by the spoon. It’s freakin delish. OR it would be so good on dark chocolate too!! The possibilities go on and on.
SEE FO YO SELF!
VANILLA ESPRESSO ALMOND BUTTER
- 2 cups almonds (unsalted)
- 2 tbs – 1/4 cup refined coconut oil*
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup coffee beans (I used chameleon cold cold brew)*
- 1/2 tbs pure vanilla extract
- Optional: honey to taste
- Adjust coconut oil measurements based on texture preferences. The more oil you add, the “creamier” and more spreadable the almond butter will be. You want refined coconut oil so that you won’t get the coconutty taste.
- Adjust coffee bean measurements to taste preferences. I add a full 1/2 cup because I love the taste of coffee. You could also use a few tbs of already ground coffee, but I like using the whole beans because it gives some crunch and texture to the almond butter!
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Roast almonds in the oven for 10-12 mins (you can skip this step, but it will help turn it into almond butter quicker once blending and I like the taste roasting gives it)
- Place *warm* almonds in a food processor and combine. After a few minutes, add the coconut oil.
- Continue processing until creamy. Scrape down sides every minute or so (The almonds will take a little time to turn into “butter”. Just keep repeating the process of scraping and combining, it will work.. trust me!!)
- Once creamy, add the coffee beans, vanilla extract, and optional sweetener and process once more until everything is well combined.
- Store in a mason jar or reuse an old almond butter jar and ENJOY *I keep mine in the cabinet, but you can also store it in the fridge!*
Want to know a cool hack if you don’t feel like waiting for your almonds to blend? Buy your favorite plain already-made almond butter (mine is whole foods brand.. only ingredient is almonds!), toss it in a food processor with the *extras* (coffee beans, vanilla extract, optional honey) and combine. Personally, I enjoy the process of making my own almond butter, and it doesn’t take long, but that trick is for all of you who like to take shortcuts 😉
As always, let me know if you make this!! I’d love to see your creations. And don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @actually_alexandra